Enjoy life now... it has an expiration date.



Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Mud, The Bad and The Ugly


9 x 12 Watercolor on Arches

Let's see how many undesirables we can get into one painting:

- Didn't do thumbnails or value sketch? Check.
- Overworked? Check and Double Check.
- Didn't allow for background colors to lighten as they dried? Check.
- Lost my focus and defined center of interest along with it? Check.
- Changed my mind several times on some colors and altered them (after I'd already put them down = mud)? Check.
- Changed the design as I went along? Check.

But all is not lost. On the bright side the desirables are:

- Got some sketching practice in? Check.
- Got some painting practice in? Check.
- Found a background technique I like? (even though it did dry lighter than expected). Check.
- Found some new color combinations? Check.
- Tried glazing and some of it was successful? Check.
- Helped me understand some of the things I want to improve about my painting? Check.

Let's see.... that's six for six. So, even though this painting will never see a frame and parts of it don't work, there are other parts that I like and I learned a couple of things that may help me get a little closer to where I want to be.

On to the next painting!

11 comments:

Rose Welty said...

You crack me up and you are absolutely right about learning and pressing on! Thanks, I needed that reminder. :D

Kathy A. Johnson said...

Great attitude! You succeeded admirably if your goal was artistic growth! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Laure Ferlita said...

Over at Imaginary Trips classes, we have a simple saying when we're done, over it, and finished with a sketch:

NEXT!!

Bravo for growth!

Karen Martin Sampson said...

Nothing ventured - nothing gained. That old cliche is true! You gained so much from this exercise. I admire your tenacity!

Jo Castillo said...

Wow, you did well and got some interesting work in. Can you cut it and make book marks with the part you like? Or gift tags, or ???? Hugs.

padmaja said...

It is a wonderful way to analyze and proceed with a positive attitude, I have never done this before! I love this piece with its pluses.

Keith said...

Grab that brush and fling that paint around. You know you want to.

Gillian Mowbray said...

That's very couragious to list the negatives alongside the positives - a great thing to do. It doesn't look overworked to me - in fact it's very fresh and pretty. x

K said...

Practice: it's all good, no matter how it turns out (spoken from a fellow mud-maker). As you said, you learned something in the process and isn't that why we keep creating - trying to find that elusive "aha" moment when it all comes together! Keep trying, girl, you're doing great!

knittingdragonflies said...

Your funny! It must be like knitting, I can see my mistakes jump out when I look at my garment.
Vicki

Jeannette StG said...

Don't be too hard on yourself -watercolor is the hardest medium!
I wrote down my list and hung it above the place I always paint, as a reminder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...